Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Essay: What makes me read an article?

Reading is a game-turned-passion for me. Books, magazines, and newspapers were my favorite things when playing, twelve years ago. I used them as props, scratch papers, and sources of pictures and cute letters for my scrapbooks. I only read when my mom was around because it was her instruction.

As a child, colorful and cute font styles used to invite me to read an article because it signifies a blithe and simple topic. I am a visual person. If it appeals to my sight, then it grabs my attention.

But the choices I made affect my manner of reading now.

Colorful and cute font styles or mom’s instructions are not enough reasons. Twelve years later, I read because I want to be a writer. I want the profession that the authors of what I read do. Now, the content attracts me more than the appearance. I include analysis when choosing what to read.

I always read an article’s lead and conclusion first before reading the entire story. Straightforward and captivating words at the start make me want to read the following sentences. If the statements capture my interest, then I will take time reading it.

I am growing up and my passions are starting to manifest. Fairy tales and short stories will always be my favorite, but reading more serious topics make me more competent. I still keep books, magazines and newspapers. But they are not there as my toys to give me additional fun, but as my tools to give me additional facts.

1 comment:

Rome Jorge said...

Checked, posted on time - Prof. Jorge